Over Christmas I did a lot of recording with my family in their studio using a M-Audio Delta 44 and Mackie 1202-VLZ3 Pro. It was a ROCK SOLID setup! I kept the interface buffer at 1024 and used the Mackie for direct monitoring. I used the “Inserts 1-4″ off the back going into the 4 1/4 inch inputs of the Delta 44. If you are interested in this setup let me know and I’ll help you set it up.
One of the issues we needed to resolve was getting reverb from Reaper back to the singers headphones. This is actually a lot easier then you think… There are 2 ways to do this(that i can think of).
1. Set audio buffer all the way down.
2. Create vocal track – Enable input monitoring and record enable
3. Create Reverb Track
4. Send audio to the Reverb Channel
Option 2 – for direct monitoring solutions(ie USB)
1. Set Audio buffer to whatever works best
2. Create Vocal Track – Record enable
3. Create Reverb Track – Record Enable + Monitor Enable
4. Right click the Record button on the REVERB track and set it to “Record Disable”
–The reverb channel will have a latency of whatever your round trip latency will be. SO if you are running at 1024 you might have a latency of ~35ms… So I would recommend NOT putting “Pre-Delay” on te reverb plugin.